- In this Southwestern Night Scene Painting,
"Black Mesa Night," an original oil on panel, I was
inspired to create an image which reflected the way that this
mesa seemed to reach up into the cosmos of the night sky. The
Rio Grand flows through along the base of this mesa where the
desert meets the tree line.
- This mesa has a long history including epic
battles between the Indians and the Spanish and is a sacred place
for the Native American people who still live there in the pueblos
of the region.
- The monolithic quality of this stark and
beautiful Black Mesa is also a well-known landmark located a
few miles outside of Espanola, NM.
- For approximately a year my wife Carolyn
and I lived a few miles on the other side of this mesa, which
has many faces in the New Mexico light.
- To see a Day Scene version of this mesa go
to "Black Mesa" No. 155